Wednesday 19 August 2009

To be at the right side




Suutari bay at the northernmost reach in The Gulf of Bothnia


“Fänriken” (The Second Lieutenant) An ill famous reef annoyingly just under the water surface. Back in the old days it was not marked out just something everybody knew about and made a curve around to be safe.

When I was about ten years old me and an older brother borrowed "Ann" our fathers boat, a wooden “snipa” just to go out on a trip at sea. Of course we managed to run aground here.. Hahaha I got scared as.. and it took a lot of efforts to get it off the stones, thankfully without more injuries than scratches below the waterline. We agreed to not say a word to anyone..

Since that I have always had a big respect for this reef when passing. Nowadays it's no problem since it is properly marked out. Feels like “you can't get me anymore”..

7 comments:

Lily said...

where exactly is that?
close to torneälven?

sounds nice... well not what happened, but just to be at sea!

we just went to Luleå, but again didn't get a house.

you can see some pics here:

http://gallerigranborggaard.blogspot.com/2009/08/recent-photographs-neue-photographien.html

and here:

http://andersbacken.blogspot.com/2009/08/award.html

a real update will follow later.

do you still have a boat today?

we haven't had one since we move from sandvig havn some years ago. really miss that!

The Mess said...

Sarah Sofia.. It is not far from where it reach the open waters. In the horizon there is some islands and behind them is the Finnish border.

I haven't got a boat today but use to borrow my brothers sailboat when going up there.

Somehow it's very essential in your life to have a boat..

Lily said...

Yes, I know the area!

Took a series of pics once on the bridge in Harparanda - of the other brige and into the sunset. Turned out really great!

is it still warm where you are? We're ginally having a nice summer!

dianne said...

Pleased to hear that the 'dangerous reef' sign is there now.
What a beautiful photo, the water and sky look wonderful...I have just been 'sailing' myself over at my blog...speaking metaphorically of course. ♡

dianne said...

I hope you are OK M dear and enjoying your vacation. ♡

Lily said...

How are you doing?
haven't hear from you for ages...

The Mess said...

Haven't spent much time at all on the internet for a couple of weeks. Bought three new(old) motorcycles for bargain autumn-price and they has kept me busy running and drooling in between.